The weather here has strangely(to me)turned Spring overnight. Yesterday was so beautiful! the snow and ice are almost completely gone from the roadways and walks, and already you can see green starting to poke through the ground in the fields, and flowers sticking their heads out of the dirt at some homes. It is odd, since back home in America, I hear that there is a fresh fall of snow.
This past week was my first full week of joining the ministry here in Rezina. It was a very full week, and also included my birthday. It is hard to put into words the various things I have been assigned to be a part of. Here are a few:
- Purchasing and packing food parcels, and delivering to elderly shut-ins
- playing volleyball with some young people to build relationships
- children's programs in villages, and in the local church
- visiting and encouraging the elderly
- participating in local and area church services, through songs and the ministry of the word
One was the home of the mother of a former teammate on this team, who has moved on to another place of ministry in Asia. Her mother is blind, and yet lives almost alone, and still does her own cooking, cleaning, etc. She loves the Lord, and yet is very lonely.
Another home we visited was a very pitiful sight. It was hard to see someone in such a condition. The couple was in their bed in the middle of the day. The home looked like it could collapse at any moment, because the roof had been leaking, creating a disaster al over the one room of the house. There were filthy clothes, and dishes, and old remains of food all over the place. The smell was incredible. We brought them a food packet, and the place we stored their food didn't look like anything good should be put there. I heard the story later, that the couple receives a pension, but the man uses it all on alcohol. He doesn't care for his wife, and any help that has been offered to repair the home has been rejected, because he doesn't care. Alcohol is such a huge bondage here in moldova. I have seen the effects of it in several different places. Another story comes from another village. A woman has been kicked out of her home by her husband, and has no place to go. She is elderly, and is not very healthy. She is a strong believer, and reaches out to those in her village, in spite of her own trials. She use to be an athiest, and taught children that there is no God. Now that she is a believer, she is searching out those children, to tell them the real truth, and if possible, to turn their hearts to the One true God.
I have been able to finally connect over the phone with my family, and it was a blessing to hear
their voices! You never realize how much you appreciate your native language until you are surrounded by a foreign one. The girls I live with speak English with me, but 3 also speak German, and Romanian. Their help has been amazing, and I love them all like sisters. I am studying Romanian, but it doesn't seem to be fast enough! But, I know that the language of God's love knows no barriers, and that is what I am seeking to distribute here...God's love in abundance. Please pray for me that I have the vision of the Lord to be able to reach these people, and even my own teammates. They are people with needs as well, and i want to be used here to the fullest.
Thank you to all who have faithfully checked my blog for news. I am sorry I have not been faithful to update. i hope this will answer some questions. Please ask away if you have more questions! I will try to be better about keeping things fresh on here.
Thank you for praying and standing behind me.
It is SO AWESOME to hear "your voice" through this update! YOU, my friend, are such a blessing!!! I am certain God is using you mightily over there, as you are obedient to Him. Keep listening for that still small voice (and sometimes the glaringly loud voice) which will make clear to you the open doors and fertile hearts to hear! I hope that even though you're not having the internet time to update the blog that you ARE still taking time to write in a journal? It is really the only regret I have from my missions trips is that I would be gone 2 weeks & have only written about like 5 or 6 days... NOW, those journal pages are precious to me, as it helps me remember how to pray specifically, helps me to share with others the specifics of ministry in another country, and is VERY encouraging to me - personally - as I look back at God's faithfulness during that trip.
ReplyDeleteGreat blog, Melanie! Thanks for sharing... I'm always looking for ways to keep up to speed on what my team is doing! We are blessed to have you with us and I know the Rezina team must be delighted to have your help. May God accomplish all his will in and through you over these months! Barb
ReplyDelete