Monday, May 17, 2010

stretchability : how far are you ready to fly?


its good to be reminded of things sometimes. today a friend reminded me of a couple words that missionaries learn to relate to real fast.

1. patience

wait for an answer. wait for a phone call. wait for paperwork. wait for a response. wait for funds. wait for test results. wait for mail. wait for a car repair. wait for a good night's sleep. wait to see a seed planted to produce fruit. etc, etc, etc.

But what does patience produce? The ability to wait long on God and to bear fruit for His kingdom. Patience creates ears that are willing to listen to those who are hurting. It teaches you to be sensitive and compassionate. Jesus had compassion on the multitudes, and fed them, by giving of Himself when He was tired. Learning patience means you are given opportunities to be patient. We can't attain some virtue without seeing our lack of it, can we? So, when you see your lack of patience, and it frustrates you, but you come through the test triumphantly, be encouraged that you have just attained a new level of what you have been seeking after.

2. flexibility (a.k.a. stretchability)

Have you ever watched a child with a rubber band? Maybe you have had fun yourself with these strips of continuous stretchy stuff. Stretch, stretch.....let go! Rubber bands are quite worthless on their own. They can't get up and make anything of themselves. They are ugly, and pointless without the help of someone who can make use of them.
Think of their use: STRETCH around something to hold it together. But, have you ever seen a dried up band? It's not worth anything, and when it's stretched, it breaks. They stay useful when they are put to good use.


Ok. I do have a point here. I like to think of myself sometimes as a rubber band. I imagine God holding on to me, and thinking over a plan He has in His mind. Where will He send me? What will He use me for? (stretch) God remembers, and He smiles. He thinks on where He will send me(stretch), and what He will do with me(stretch). It is a perfect plan. It has been in His mind from the beginning.

He takes careful aim, stretching me possibly more than ever, and then lets go. Does he stand and watch how far I go, and where I land? I picture Him running underneath me as I sail through the air, over obstacles, across great heights, and when I land, He is there, to catch me when I come down, right in the perfect place He intended-again in His hands.

Do you ever think the rubber band is not willing to go where one wants to send it? Some bands are definitely not as stretchy. Some are resistant. That usually would cause me to choose another. I never want that to happen with me. I don't want God to pick me up with all His plans and intentions for my life, and find me resistant to His will, and have to choose another in my place.

So use me Lord for your purposes! Stretch me, mold me, shape me, prepare me. Set me in your hands, stretch me to the limit, and let me fly as far as You choose. I am willing to fall into Your hands in the place you have prepared for me, whether near or far. Whether a place of comfort, or a place that requires me to be stretched more permanently, to draw others together, or hold together those who are seeking to follow You.

I appreciate those who take the time to read these ramblings from my heart. I hope it encourages some, and sets you on your path to fly.....as far as your Maker has chosen for you. Don't limit Him! He has a perfect plan for you!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Melanie for your heart to love and serve others.
    You are in the palm of the Mighty One's Hand!
    love mom

    ReplyDelete