Monday, March 5, 2012

sometimes I cry

Two nights ago was tough.
I was in the middle of preparing a late supper. I turned on my computer because Michail and Dominique were going to watch 'Robin Hood' while I was getting supper ready. Once online, I found a Skype message from a friend in Moldova.
She simply said, "Hi Mel, did you already hear the sad news?"
Immediately in my heart I knew what that meant, though I wanted to believe that it was some other sad news...I frantically searched facebook...and it didn't take long to confirm the sinking in my heart. My dear friend Dana had passed away after fighting leukemia for just under a year. She would have turned 28 on March 19.
At first I didn't know how to react. It was so hard to hear this. I am a former cancer fighter, and I believe that Yahweh has healed me. I no longer say that 'I have cancer'. I used to have cancer. I am healed and whole. But, last night when I heard this really hard news, I began to ask my Father, "why?". Why was my life preserved, and my friend's life taken from this earth? I had to come to the conclusion that God has yet a plan for my life, and apparently His plan for Dana was finished. I cried. I really cried. It could have been me! Dana was the same age as me.
I didn't cry so much for my loss, but for the loss of those dearest to her that she has left behind.
I rejoice that she is no longer in pain, and yet sorrow with Eugen her husband, her family, and so many friends and lives that she has touched. She touched mine in a special way.
I first met Dana in Moldova at the airport - the first friendly face that I met as she and another OM (Operation Mobilisation) team member waited to pick me up. Dana was so very friendly, and so helpful. This was my second time on Moldovan soil to join an OM team, and yet this time I came alone, anticipating 3 months without the presence of any other American teammates.
Over the course of the first day or so in Moldova, I met with Dana several times to make all the right connections. She and Eugen, her husband set me up with a cell phone I could use after I had joined a local ministry team in Rezina. She was so much fun to be around. I remember one evening when myself and several others were invited over to Dana and Eugen's house for supper and games afterward. We had so much fun. Dana really made me feel welcome in Moldova, and was an awesome translator!Far above the practical help, Dana became a true friend to me, and even after the 3 months had expired in Moldova, we continued stay in contact over facebook. She was such a sweet friend when I was facing cancer.
Cancer became a huge road block that kept me from returning to Moldova for a 2 year term as I had begun to plan for. If I recall correctly, Dana sent several messages to my parents telling of the Moldovan team praying for me. It meant so much.
Cancer is scary, and it seems to speak a death sentence over most. But, I have learned through what I faced, that God is bigger than cancer. I am also reminded that death has no victory over those who are in Messiah Yeshua, even if their body is taken from this earth!
"So when this corruptible shall have put on incorruption, and this mortal shall have put on immortality, then shall be brought to pass the saying that is written, Death is swallowed up in victory. O death, where is your sting? O grave, where is your victory? The sting of death is sin; and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, which gives us the victory through Adonai Yeshua Ha Mashiach." 1 Corinthians 15:54-57
Dana Ciumac has gotten the victory! Blessed be the name of the Lord!
Dana was always smiling with a really big smile. I imagine how huge her smile was when she met her Savior face to face. What absolute joy she must be experiencing right now. Please remember Eugen, Dana's husband in prayer. I can't imagine what he is facing right now as half of himself is no longer by his side. May the Father grant him an extra measure of grace as he faces each day.

2 comments:

  1. Very sorry you have lost a friend. I will remember to keep her husband and family in prayer. Love you Mel.
    Cheryl

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and visiting my blog. Feel free to email me anytime heathermichelle1984 @ gmail.com

    ReplyDelete