Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Learning to walk

This verse has inspired me this week.  I have been meditating on it for a few days since it popped out to me while reading.
Psalm 32:8
    "I will instruct and teach you in this way that you are to go; I will give you counsel; my eyes will be watching you."

What is this way that I am to go?   I believe that scripture interprets scripture.  "Followers of the Way" was the title given to early converts to Messianic Judaism in the book of Acts (22:4). 
"I persecuted to death the followers of this Way, arresting both men and women and throwing them in prison."  -Paul
These believers were Jews or former Gentiles who chose to place their trust in Yeshua as their Messiah (Savior, Anointed One). 

In my understanding ( I have so much more to learn!), I believe that this Way started in the beginning of the scriptures where Yahweh gave instruction (or the Torah) to His people Israel.  Written clearly in the Torah (the first five books of the scriptures) is the way that Yahweh would have His people to walk.  I have been learning so much lately how the Torah is a revelation or representation of God's character. 
"For I am Yahweh your God; therefore, consecrate yourselves and be holy, for I am holy..." Leviticus 11:44
When He says to be holy as I am holy, He has already shown His people how.  He gave instruction on how to dress, how to behave, how to grow crops, how to eat, how to be pure and holy before Him, etc. I feel like I am seeing with new eyes, and I am so excited to get to know the God of Avraham, Yitzak, and Ya'acov in a deeper, richer way than I have ever known. This God of Israel is the same God today as He was in the desert with the children of Israel. He does not change.  His ways do not change.  His commandments to His people, whether Jews or grafted-in former Gentiles, do not change.
"But because I, Yahweh, do not change, you sons of Ya'akov will not be destroyed. Malachi 3:6
 I am learning how full and rich my life can really be as I follow God in obedience, and walk in the example of Yeshua my Messiah. 


Michail and I are approaching our first year wedding anniversary on August 2, and I almost can't believe it! The time has really flown by, and we have had quite a year of learning and growing together.  I have learned so much about Michail and grown more accustomed to his needs and how to adjust to the many changes in life relating to being married to a dependent but very independent husband.  We have faced many challenges together this first year, including an operation for removing my wisdom teeth, putting together the necessary paperwork to begin the process of my immigration to Canada, facing financial hurdles (and learning to trust God more!), making big decisions together, and much more.
I cannot express how blessed we have been this year. God has over, above and beyond exceeded our expectations as we have traveled on this journey together so far.  Michail and I have learned the importance of keeping our relationship priority, and even above that, protecting our personal and mutual relationship with God.  We have come to experience in a greater way the need for more of God's Spirit in our lives. The Spirit is what empowers us to do God's will, and be obedient to Him.  Together we have sought God's face, and cried out on behalf of our families and many friends in need.  As we pray, we are drawn closer to God's heart, and we begin more and more to share His burdens, His desires. 

I am looking ahead with joy to all that our Father has in store for us, though at the same time with sobriety, as I know the days are evil.  I want to be on my guard and not to be found lacking when times get hard, as I know they will.  I want to be always ready to give an answer to those who ask me a reason for the hope that is in me.

No comments:

Post a Comment