We all have been children at one time, and I think we have all at one point asked our dad for something, and especially at a young age, we really expected him to do it for us. Why? We had a simple trust in our dad, and some of us can say, he was our hero. He could do anything, right? Why do we lose that trust when we get older? I think because when we are little, we are helpless in a lot of ways to do some tasks, such as prepare ourselves meals, go places that require driving, defend ourselves from bullies (even if they are our siblings). As we grow in age, we also grow in self confidence, and there comes a point in life as a young person, that we don't feel we need our dad's help with things, and we often don't even think we need to ask to do things on our own. We somehow slowly lose our trust too. We begin to doubt the abilities of our father, and we think we can handle life on our own - we don't need anyone dictating our lives. How soon we find out life is not so easy all on our own.
I think of this analogy in comparison to my relationship with my Heavenly Father. He says in Matthew 7:7-11
Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and he who seeks finds, and to him who knocks it will be opened. Or what man is there among you who, if his son asks for bread, will give him a stone? Or if he asks for a fish, will he give him a serpent? If you then, being evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father who is in heaven give good things to those who ask Him!
Can it get any more simple than this? My Father is simply saying, "Just ask Me. I am ready to give you what you ask." I am learning that my Father loves for me to communicate with Him as a child with his father. He wants me to have the faith of a child, that trusts that He is all powerful, and can really do anything! Why is it that when we "mature" in our faith, that we seem to think that our Father can only help us with the complicated things, like providing money for us when we run out, or healing someone that is sick, etc. We don't often come to Him with the small things because, like a growing child, we feel that "I am strong enough to handle this one". I quickly find how weak I am when I fall into that trap, and then I have to come running back to my Father, and somewhat ashamed, ask for His help.
This past week I experienced my Father answering very simple requests of mine that were seemingly small, but ended up being something that I will remember for some time.
On Thursday last week, I had planned to go food shopping and for one reason or another, it took me a long time to get out of the house. I found I was finally leaving at 2pm, and come 4:30pm, we were going to have people knocking at our door for the Hebrew class we host at our house. This did not look to favorable for me.
My first stop was at the Bulk Barrel downtown to get some bulk flours, etc. - a place I have been to numerous times - but somehow missed the street, and had to circle around (clock is ticking). Before leaving the parking lot after my purchases, I glanced over my receipt, and found I hadn't been charged for something I bought, and had been charged for something I did not buy! I was a little frustrated because this was going to take away from my short time allotment, and yet I went back in because I thought I was at fault. I turned out that I didn't have to pay any extra, but actually got $3.00 in change back! When you are counting your pennies, it all matters!
After completing shopping at the next place, the clock read 3:51pm (the minutes really mattered too). I wasn't sure how I was going to make it home in time, as I still had one stop to make across town, but I decided to stop for a moment. I asked my Father to help me to be finished at Costco in 30 minutes - for those of you who know, this is not a store you can get in and out of too quickly, as there is always quite a multitude of shoppers all the time. When I drove into the already packed parking lot, I simply asked for a parking spot close to the door so I could be in and out (and I wasn't going to take advantage of Michail's wheelchair accessible parking permit, as he wasn't with me).After just a couple turns, I found one - about three spots away from the door! Remember, this is getting on to evening time now...everyone is out and about as work is letting out :) I got what I needed and returned to my van in good time, and as I was starting the engine I just began to praise Adonai. He had blessed me so much already, but I asked, "Father help me to get right out of this lot" - usually there is a long line of cars incoming and outgoing constantly. Yes, you guessed it - there was absolutely no cars coming in our leaving the parking lot when I pulled out.
As I was driving home, the words to a song came to my mind. It's called Ayn Kamocha, or There is None Like You, taken from the book of Psalms and Exodus. Here are the words in English:
There is none like You among the gods, O Lord, and there is nothing like Your works.
Your kingdom is an everlasting kingdom, and Your dominion is throughout all generations.
The Lord reigns, the Lord has reigned, the Lord will reign forever and ever.
The Lord will give strength unto His people; the Lord will bless His people with peace.
I was singing it in Hebrew though - it sounds so much richer! :)
I approached my street as I made my way home, and I was just shouting. God had made a way for me again. As I pulled into our street, the clock almost shouted out God's praises as it read 4:21pm - EXACTLY 30 minutes from when I had prayed.
I couldn't help but run in the house and share my overflowing heart with my husband. I rushed in, and as I began to explain how overwhelmed I was with the goodness of my Father, I began to weep for joy. Michail rejoiced with me after he realized I was not upset :) He had blessed me before I left that I might have the joy of Yahweh in my heart, and wow - his request was answered too!
Can I share one more verse? This one I have pondered over and over. It's so good.
And whatever we ask we receive from Him, because we keep His commandments and do those things that are pleasing in His sight. 1 John 3:22


No comments:
Post a Comment